Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sweden

Niklas was our first student.
He is from Moenchengladbach, Germany


Hezha was our student last year. He is from Sulimaniyah, Iraq.

Nadezhda "Nadya" and Wes.


Nadya was our girl last year, yes we had two teens!!
She is from Saint Petersburg, Russia.



Our family is still growing! We have decided to add another person to our lives. This next year we will be hosting a young lady from Sweden. I am so excited. My life has grown so much just by being able to host these kids. My heart knows no difference between them and my own kids. The kids we have hosted basically become my kids for 10 months, and through good and bad, I end up loving them each in special ways. I cannot wait to learn about Sweden and to hear her accent. That is my favorite, each one has had their accent, and it has always been fun noticing the differences between theirs and ours.

Example; last year, Nadya was talking to Hezha and another girl from the Ukraine. The two girls were talking about the difference between here and their home in calling emergency services. Nadya was explaining to Hezha how instead of calling 911 for everything they called seperate numbers. I don't remember the exact order but it was something like this...

#1...Police

#2...Ambulence

#3...Fire

Then she said they had a number 4. Hezha asked what number 4 was for. Nadya said, "guess." Hezha said, "I don't Know." Nadya again said, "guess." Hezha looked at her like she was crazy and said louder, "I don't know! You tell me!" Nadya, who was now quite irritated with him, shouted, "guess."

Finally, I got involved and asked what they were talking about. After she told me what they were saying I looked at Hezha and said...."she is not saying guess, she is meaning GAS, like as in heating your house."

There were many more funny moments during that year, mostly to do with Nadya's accent. It brings a smile to my face.

1 comment:

  1. Ginger, I have to tell you that I absolutely love Klara. Last night was just too sweet. Those chocolate chip cookies were the BOMB! In fact I woke up this morning and ate like five of them. Bad, I know, not the greatest breakfast but tell her I am so thankful that she brought us some of her delicious cookies.
    BTW Love you too!

    ReplyDelete