Well in effort to make a wonderful holiday meal I am trying to hone in my culinary skills and make my own rolls. I tried a test run of the recipe a friend gave me. I followed the directions, and as any of my family knows...I need very precise directions. This recipe was a little more complex....the directions read like this....a handful of this and a handful of that. The one that threw me off the most was the Approximately seven cups of flour....What does it mean by approx.?!?! Does that mean less or more? Well in this initial first attempt I assumed less.....I was wrong!
The dough was soooo sticky! After adding what seemed like another two cups, and kneading it to death I think I have accomplished killing the yeast and who knows what they are gonna turn out like. Maria suggested that I put some in the oven and go from there. They were very dense but they did have a nice taste to them. All I can do is keep trying until I get it right. Maria made a wonderful memory of me with my hands covered in goop and her taking blackmail pics of my cooking. I'm glad that I can make a normal everyday thing into an adventure for her. :)
When Maria thinks that things cannot get any crazier...we have new adventures around every corner.....Lewis decided this year he wanted to try his culinary skills at deep frying a turkey. Lewis is famous for rigging up complex systems to make the job "easier".....when I looked out the sliding door to check on him....I was shocked to find the ladder and dusty dirty ropes and pulleys dangling over the fryer....all I could do was shut the door and walk away....We all enjoyed the turkey :) and hopefully and dirt and rust was burned to a crisp....or maybe it was what gave the bird the lovely color it had!
So to make it a complete holiday experience for our Maria....we got up bright and early for what we American loveingly call "BLACK FRIDAY".....I told Maria that this was the day that she would get to experience American Comsumerism at its....UM....best? Anyway we managed to get everyone up at 3:30am to drive 30 miles to Wal-mart (the big shopping mecca of our neck of the woods). Little did I know that due to Wal-mart employees being trampled to death by opening the door for the multitudes of stampeding shoppers, they decided to stay open all night long.
I grabbed all the hats, gloves and warm clothing together....preparing to stand in a huge line for an hour.....instead we were able to go right in and stand next to the desired items on our list. Maria was thinking that this was really a strange thing.....that was up until the guy came over the mic and announced....."Attention (screaming women all over the store)...." Then masses of people and chaos swirled all around. I think that she understands it all now.
My only thought was....I'd sure hate to be the employee who had to unlock the key to the door in the past.....That would have to be considered a demotion....wouldn't it?





No comments:
Post a Comment